Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Patting Myself on the Back

Well, I'm feeling pretty proud of myself right now. (sorry this is so long)

Back at the beginning of the school year I was a Gamma Chi for Rrecruitment. A Gamma Chi is like a rush counselor, sometimes called Rho Chis, or Pi Chi's, different things in different places. Anyway, it's like a big deal to be one here because literally 100's of girls apply. They usually pick you because you're easy to relate to, are outgoing, good leadership skills, ect. I was totally thrilled to get to do this, not to mention it's wayyyy bettterrr than being in the house!

we all have a group of anywhere from 10-15 girls. I had a group of 11. An amazing group I might say. None of them were ever rude to me, none of them made rude comments about other houses or anything, and they were all really positive throughout the whole process. The main goal of a Gamma Chi is to get girls to just GO GREEK, no matter what house. (we had to disaffiliate from our houses...hardest thing EVER. I missed everyone sooo much). So naturally some girls get upset because they got cut from the "better" houses, and want to drop out of recruitment. I'd been pretty successful throughout recruitment and had my girls all staying. But everytime one wanted to drop they did it through a text message telling me they were already leaving town, so I couldn't talk them out of it, very discouraging. By the day of pref night, I only had one girl quit. On prefnight one girl is terribly upset, because all she had left were two houses she didn't want, my house, and another. Both VERY GOOD on campus, but she had some influential friends who thought they weren't. I talked her into going to the pref parties since she was already dressed up, and she never knew, she might change her mind about them. She went. That night, she called me and told me she decided to drop, I encouraged her to come to bidday the next day and to really think about it (she did sign a pref card), and to just go to bidday and she might really love the house. The next morning I was sad to find out she was not going to come. I had a BID CARD to the house she prefed.

I never heard from her, but for some reason I'd kept her bidcard. Last weekend someone sees her and informs me she ended up accepting the bid! So...I message her on facebook asking if she did and if she wanted her bid card. She told me she meant to call me but was still really unsure about it at first. But she ended up going and loving it! I really feel like I had a part in that. All through recruitment I'd told the girls, no matter where you go, you're going to love it and have soo much fun. I'd told them being greek is an amazing experience, and it's really about the greek system as a whole rather than the indivduals. Although houses get competetive and stuff, being a gamma chi has really made me have a different outlook on greek life and it's about all the houses, fraternities and sororites, coming together!

No matter the letters, greeks do it better!

p.s. Shout out to heather! HEY GIRL HEY! Thanks for bookmarking my blog!
yayyy picture time


my AOII familyyy. From left to Right, My Grandlil Danielle, my little from last year Jordan, ME, and my little from this year Julie!
woot woot! me and heather on the way to the lake during the summer!
the computer lab got MAC's....sadly this is how we spend our evenings.
my summer roomie ashley and i. the morning after float trip 08. lookin rough.
aoii bidday! uhh this isn't the best pic, the sides are cut off! yayyy AOII!

No comments: